A satisfying yet easy meal.
Smoked Gouda Scalloped Eggplant
- 2 cup eggplant, cut into rounds
- 1 cup onion, small dice
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 T garlic, minced
- 1 cup Heidi Ho Smoked Gouda, shredded
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced (salt and peppered)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup your favorite unsweetened milk replacer
- 1 t organic cornstarch
- Pinch nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°. Heat your favorite unsweetened milk replacer in a sauce pan. Whisk in cornstarch and drop temperature. Add pinch of nutmeg. Let cool and thicken.
- Boil rounds of eggplant in salted water for 5 minutes, strain and let cool. Sauté mushrooms, garlic, and onion until soft and let cool.
- In a square pyrex dish begin to create layers. Place a layer of eggplant rounds on the bottom Spoon sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle vegan Smoked Gouda. Add mushroom and onion mixture. Add tomatoes. Add another layer of eggplant rounds, spoonfuls of sauce, vegan Smoked Gouda, mushrooms and onion mixture and tomatoes.
- Add another layer of eggplant rounds, spoonfuls of sauce and top the dish with breadcrumbs. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Serve with your favorite Greens!
Copyright ©Heidi Ho. Always Vegan, Always Sustainable